Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lately

Lately I've been SO super busy planning for our commonwealth school, that I can't see straight! We named it Liber Leaders and it's going to be completely awesome! I am team teaching a Music and Movement class. ( I already affectionately refer to my little 2 and 3 year old students as my M&M's.) I will also be teaching a dance class in the afternoons, as I grew up dancing, competing and performing my whole life. Haven't had my dancin' shoes on in a few years, but I'm excited to do it again! Snug and Luv will be doing Knights of Liberty and Liberty Belle's. Cuddle and Wiggle will be doing Book Play and Fun Phonics together, and Miss Lady will be in my class as a fellow M&M'er!

As part of the group, we have also started a colloquium for adults, entitled Liber Lads and Ladies! This is by far, one of the things I am most excited about! I know that I am going to learn and grow SO much, from this experience! This will be my first colloquium and I can't wait! We will be meeting once a month, instead of once a week, so this will be more reasonable for my schedule! I can't wait to read, write and discuss it all with our group! Our first book of course, will be A Thomas Jefferson Education, and I am excited to read it again! It's been a while!

I also feel like I've finally arrived, when it comes to having a plan for our learning season, this year! I had decided a few weeks ago, to teach the children about a time period in history, through a study of our ancestors, and then was re-inspired to do that when I watched a short video that Nicholeen Peck had on her site the other day. In doing some family research about Mr.'s side of the family, I have found out that he is related to Anson Call, who was a great supporter and friend to the Prophet Joseph Smith, as well as Brigham Young. I have been reading his autobiography today and just soaking it all in. It's even cooler to realize that he could possibly have known my 6th great grandfather, John Tanner, who was also a friend of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and the church. I have yet to find where their paths may have crossed, IF they crossed at all, but I know circles were smaller in the church back then, and it's a real possibility! I am excited to share some amazing stories, ideas and projects with the children, all inspired by pioneer ancestors on both sides of our family, who really lived and loved the gospel! I'll let you know how our learning season goes, but I can already tell we're onto something good! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment