Monday, May 30, 2011

We're Gonna' FREEEEEEEZE!

In planning and pondering about our upcoming HIP Retreat for our homeschooling community, I have been thinking about EVERY little detail. (I hope I am not missing something!) My parents were camping this weekend, in the vicinity of where the retreat will be. I was surprised to get a call from my mom, last night, saying they had come home a day early because it was 53 degrees at 4:30 p.m. in the afternoon, with quite a strong wind blowing. Hmmm...not the news I want to hear. We froze our toes off last year! There was not a whole lot we could do to get warm enough at night last year, and we just put all the kids in-between the Mr. and I, and hoped they stayed warm enough to sleep comfortably. Kids are amazing and can sleep almost anywhere, so they seemed to be fine, but the Mr. and I didn't get a wink of sleep at night while we were there. I suppose it was the combination of the bitter cold, the terribly uncomfortable air mattress (which was not made for 2 adults and 5 kids), the occasional rock or two in the back, from not digging them all up before we pitched camp, and the amazing ability little kids have, to put their foot in JUST that right spot, so as to make sleep impossible for you. :0) Does it sound like I am complaining??? I promise that's not the intent! We still had a blast last year! Which is why, I am trying to be strategic about this year's experience, so it will be even better!

I am a list-maker, in an unusual sort of way. I don't normally write my lists out for everything (usually grocery shopping.) But I guess because of what I call "Mommy Brain", my mind likes to keep this running list of things that are super important and above all else, MUST be remembered on any family adventure. First and foremost on my mind, is the "FREEEEEZING" part. We took every blanket we had last year, and it didn't begin to scratch the surface of trying to keep us warm. How I WISH we had some denim quilts. I am just going to have to get some quilt frames and learn to make some! In the meantime...wish us luck on our adventure! We are off to find some more warmth today, to take with us! :0)

2 comments:

  1. I did hear it snowed in the mountains there recently. A bit chilly! They have small portable heaters, if you can afford one, called Buddy Heater. They run off of small natural gas canisters. They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link, Celeste! I actually found out today that we aren't going quite as high up (in elevation) as my parents were this weekend, so hopefully it won't get quite as cold as we first thought! I was also able to call my aunt who will let us borrow some denim quilts for the weekend! :0)

    ReplyDelete