Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sticking To It

Today, two of my kiddo's got to learn that I mean business.  They lost privileges for 24 hours yesterday (and then took some considerable time to get calm, only to revisit the issue again.)  They knew that today was a family fun activity (minus Dad, who was working.)  We went to the Natural History museum and at the end of the day, stopped to get a treat at the museum store.  They didn't get a treat, because they had missed out on all privileges for 24 hours.  They didn't like it.  Our son, handled it pretty well, knowing why he was missing out.  Our daughter was an entirely different story.  She threw a bit of a tantrum and cried and was very upset.  Now they know that I mean what I say.  (I have always been pretty consistent.)  And yet, as I speak, that same daughter is out of instructional control again.  She is a stubborn cookie.  It may take a week or so, of lost privileges, before she comes around.  But I am sticking to this.  I am amazed at how I am able to keep my cool, so much better.  It's because I have a system and a plan.  I also really feel like they know that I love them!  I have been speaking kindly and praising the good!  I have told them how much I love them and that I want them to get to have fun.  I have been able to separate myself from their behavior, and not let it make or break my day!  So far, so good!

2 comments:

  1. Way to stick to your guns, momma! You inspired me this evening! {{{hugs!}}}

    ReplyDelete