Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Focus for the New Year

I have lots of different things swirling through my mind all the time! But amidst all the swirling, everyday concerns and cares, I am trying to come to some sort of conclusion about what our focus will be for this new year. For the first time in my life, my health is starting to be a real concern. I am just realizing that I am getting "old" (yeah, I know I am only almost 34) and it is imperative that I exercise and get enough rest. I also know how important it is for me to focus on my spiritual health as well. So...I guess my theme for the New Year is to focus on health and happiness! I am off to read my scriptures and see what kind of wisdom I can glean that will help in my focus! Happy Day All! :@)

UPDATED STUDY: D&C 25:10 And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world and seek for the things of a better.

I love this scripture! It jumped out at me today, when I was reading! I have felt so prompted to read from the Doctrine and Covenants. This scripture was addressed to Emma Smith, from Heavenly Father, in reference to the work He had called her to do, in supporting her husband, Joseph. Section 26 verse 1 goes onto to say:

"Behold, I say unto you that you shall let your time be devoted to the studying of the scriptures and to preaching,... and to performing your labors on the land, such as is required...and then it shall be made known what you should do."

I have been pondering about the best way to set up a system for Family Work and chores, here in our home, and have also been pondering about what I should be studying right now. I have a library filled with classic literature, and yet I can't seem to stick with anything I read, lately. This has really bothered me, because I love to read. But each time I pick up a book, the same thought comes to my mind..."Gospel Learning." I feel so strongly that that is the kind of focus my studies should have, and those are the kinds of things I need to inspire the children in! It is daunting, not to be inspiring more academic things, through example, for my children. But I think that gospel study is crucial for our family right now! It is so easy for me to get stressed out about daily life and about all there is to do. I need the anchor of the gospel, to keep me on a steady course! I am grateful for personal revelation, which comes through prayer! This reminds me of a song that I love: Anchor by Mindy Gledhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment