Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thrown For a Loop

Ladybug's G-tube started to get tighter last week, so I made an appointment for this past Wednesday, to see her surgeon about upping it a size. He changed it out in the office and sent an order for our home health company to deliver a new one to us. (You always have to have a replacement tube on hand, to put in if the current one breaks.) We hooked her up for her feed that evening and tucked her into bed. Hours later...enter drama!
So here's what happened. It was about 1:30 a.m. on Thursday morning. We were all asleep, that is, until I heard the ever annoying "BEEEEEEEEEEP!", that is THE FEEDING PUMP. ( I know..."Dun-Dun-Dun!") Sounds like I am whining, but we have 2 OF THEM at our house, so these feeding pumps are often my nighttime nemesis. It's particularly awesome, when their beeps are just offset from each other in such a way, that as soon as I get back to my room from turning off the alarm on one of them, the other one beeps. I am usually up as many as 8 times a night dealing with pumps and their beeping. UGH! So...I roll out of bed and head down the hallway to push a button and stop the "BEEP!" Usually, it beeps because Lady or Wiggle has rolled over on their tubing, clogging the pump and not allowing it to continue to feed them. A little re-adjustment and untangling of tubing usually fixes the issue. Well...NOT THIS TIME. I went in to find Ladybug's head where her feet should go, and saw that she was tangled, and as I reached in to turn her around, I found that she was SOAKING WET with formula. If you ever hear me use the sentence "He (or She) fed the Bed", like it's no big deal, that's only because it happens much more often than I would like. Poor Ladybug, (and occasionally, Wiggle Bug) have had more 3 a.m. baths, than they (or I) would like. YIKES! Well...the drama gets worse. I thought her tubing had just come disconnected from the G-tube in her tummy. NOPE! THE WHOLE TUBE CAME OUT! AGAIN! This isn't normally a big deal, but we didn't have a replacement tube from our home health company yet. (This has happened to each of them, about 4 or 5 times within this past year or so.) Normally when their G-tube comes out, I just put in another one, and life goes on. This time, Mr. Man was already gone to work, which wouldn't have been an issue, IF...IF I had the replacement tube (instead of improvising with Wiggle's replacement tube which was a size too long), and IF I could get it in and then verify that it was in her stomach. (Long process to explain, and kinda' gross, so I'll spare you the details of how this is accomplished.) This time, I wasn't able to confirm that it was in fact in her stomach and not curled up inside her body cavity as it went in. This time there was more blood than I am used to seeing with this issue. This time...we took a trip to the ER about an hour or so away from our home, to verify that the tube was in her stomach, so that when I started her feed the next day, the formula would go into her stomach and not into her body cavity. I had to call Mr. Man home from work, so sleeping kiddo's didn't have to go with me. His work was so great about the whole thing, and he was able to be home quickly. (BTW...when a G-tube comes out, you have about an hour, to get another one in, or the body closes the hole or stoma, and another surgery is required.) Yeah...can you say 6 HOURS at the ER? SIX. (Can you imagine what socialized medicine will do for our situation? I shudder to think of it.) They had to do an x-ray, change out her tube, etc. I had to chuckle when the nurses commented to Ladybug "Honey, you should be sleeping, it's 3 a.m.!" I told them she has a chronic sleep disturbance. I don't think they really understood that. Anyway, we got to leave the hospital at about 9 :30 a.m. after arriving at about 3 a.m. I couldn't really get much sleep, and then Mr. Man and I had dental appointments that afternoon. I finally got to sleep at about 8 :30 p.m. Thank heaven for essential oils! I had Oregano and Lavender oil on the bottoms of my feet and I chugged some water that had some oil of lemon in it, and I went to bed smelling like a pizza. But boy, did I feel better when I woke up this morning! I LOVE essential oils! They are really helping our family! Anyway...Miss Ladybug and I were thrown for quite the loop yesterday. It was crazy! But then again...crazy seems to be my middle name, lately! What are ya' gonna' do?? :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment