Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Prayer Meeting and My Own Learning

Yesterday morning, was our first Quiet Time and Prayer Meeting, that we have now added as part of our morning routine. We got this idea from Teaching Your Children Joy by the Eyre's, and we love it! As soon as we all wake up, I remind the kiddo's that it is Quiet Time. We try,(emphasis on "TRY"), to be more quiet and to think about our blessings each morning. Then after they get themselves ready (the oldest three) for the day, we have a prayer meeting and Draw Our Blessings. We listen to reverent music while the children draw a picture about something Heavenly Father has blessed them with. Then we talk about their pictures and we also talk about things that we can thank Heavenly Father for, and ask Heavenly Father for, in our group prayer for the morning! This, along with our Hug-a-thon, is giving us a great start to our day!

I have been trying to spend some real pondering time, to evaluate what I should be studying right now. I must admit, that I don't study like I should. With 5 kiddo's, there is never a dull moment around here. And I know how important it is that I focus on You Not Them, in order to be a proper example of someone who thirsts for knowledge. So....instead of just picking up a book and reading it because it's one that I haven't read yet, I am trying to make sure I am picking up the right book to start with. Do you know how many books I have started that I haven't finished yet? I can think of 7. Two of those are books that I have made daily progress in, but what's up with the other 5? I have found lately that I often lose steam, just after starting a book, and I have no desire to keep reading. It's driving me crazy! What phase am I in? There is no such thing as the "Start a book and don't finish it" phase, that's for sure. And writing...that's another ball game. Ya' gotta' finish the book to write an accurate and interesting piece about it! LOL :0) I just feel like I am stuck in a bit of a rut lately. I don't know...maybe it's the crazy life of doctor's appointments, phone calls, therapists. It's definitely hard to keep my head above water. So...instead of letting this just happen to me everyday, I am deciding to be intentional about my own learning. I don't want to sit on the sidelines of my own education, wondering how the game is played. There is definitely a balance that needs to occur, between being present for my children, and having time for my learning too! Where is that balance? Anyway...I think I need to start with the scriptures. I need to immerse myself in them and truly learn about the gospel. That's where I am going to start! The scriptures are the greatest classic of all, right? If I can get myself right, spiritually, then I know Heavenly Father will continue to inspire me about what I should study and write about! Does anyone have any ideas on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment