Friday, September 24, 2010

Learning from the Scriptures

These are just a few of the insights I have gained, in my study of the scriptures this week:

1 Ne. 15:24 Tells us to hearken and hold fast to the Word of God. If we do so, we will never perish. (As I read this scripture, I thought "It really is that simple!") To hearken, doesn't just mean to listen, but it means that we should listen and DO! I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who values simplicity. He tells us what we need to do to regain His presence. We don't have to figure it out for ourselves...it's right there in the scriptures. And I am grateful for ancient people, who followed His commandment to keep a record of their lives, so that we could learn so many important truths from them.

Proverbs 4:13 (I particularly love this), says: "Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life." In this scripture, instruction refers to education. Education is our life! It is one important reason we are here. As the scripture states, it is thy life. I just LOVE the eloquence with which that is said! I fear that today, too many youth mistreat their education experiences. To have the opportunity to become educated individuals, is such a wonderful blessing! We should show respect for the great opportunity we have, in this free country, to enlighten our minds and gain knowledge and wisdom. Education is one of the freedoms that is too often taken for granted in our country, and even the world! I am grateful for the opportunity, not only to gain my own education, but to also to teach my children:
1. That they are the stewards of their own educations. Teachers teach; students educate. Their education is their responsibility. Mr. Man and I are here, to provide the right environment, inspiration and example for them to follow. (We have been talking about stewardship this week, in our morning devotionals, and the children and I are learning more about being wise stewards of the sacred things God has entrusted to us. I would submit, that our education is one of those things!)

2. Education isn't about opening the flip-top lid on our brains and pouring in a bunch of facts, figures and other memorized things, to spit back out on a piece of paper when asked, and never have that knowledge again. Education is about passion! It's about finding what we are passionate about, putting forth the time and effort to learn about it, and honing that passion so we can be who we are meant to be in this world.

3. Education is about mission! I LOVE the congruity that is a leadership education! Before I knew about Leadership Education/A Thomas Jefferson Education, life seemed disconnected to me. Learning was something we did during the week, Church was on Sunday, and all the happenings of daily life, fell somewhere in between. How grateful I am, for the knowledge that all of these things are connected to one another! We don't ever stop learning! And our learning isn't just about facts and figures, numbers, letters, etc. It's about physical things and their relationship to spiritual things. It's knowing that we were sent to this earth to fulfill a personal and specific mission here! If you are reading this, and have never stopped to ponder what your mission might be on this earth, I urge you to do so! Heavenly Father has an important work for you to do! Ask Him about it! He will let you know His plans for you!

I will ever be grateful for the very personal and specific ways that Heavenly Father inspires me, as a mother, and gives me vision and focus to do His will for our family!

Ephesians 6:14 teaches us to "bring up your children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." An admonition is a warning or rebuke. So we are to bring up our children in the nurture and warning of the Lord. We should raise them to be God-fearing people, and to know Whose they are. In Enos 1:1 we read that Enos was taught in his father's language and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. What a wonderful gift we give our children, when we teach them, not only to understand our language, but our Heavenly Father's language (the scriptures).

These are some of the insights I am gaining as I study the scriptures! I am grateful to have them, and for the opportunity to learn from them each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment