Saturday, August 21, 2010

Teaching Our Monsters to Sit Strong

I had a nice talk with our Luv Bug today! (Ya' know...because we've been having a tough time with her behaviors lately. She has been losing control. Yelling, growling, getting out "the claw" and waving her hands at us, crossing her eyes and making faces.) She has really been struggling, and we've been struggling as to how to help her. We talked today about our inner monsters. (Weird, I know...just hear me out.) We talked about how sometimes we feel like we have a monster inside of us that growls when we get mad or frustrated or when we don't want to obey. But when our monsters growl, we have to teach them how to speak in human language, because humans don't speak monster. We had a crash course in monster translation, and I asked questions like, "When a monster says "Ughhhhh!", what words do you think he might be trying to say?" She gave me some really good responses, like "Well, maybe he's saying "I don't want to do that" or "I am mad!" (I was surprised at how receptive she was to all of this.) So then, we talked about Sitting Strong! We talked about taking deep breaths, and breathing in all the words our monster could use to tell how it is feeling, and breathing out all of the growls and monster noises! Then we made signs (because I am all about the visual aids), for our Reminder Wall!) THEN...all the kiddo's wanted to draw pictures of themselves sitting strong and teaching their monsters how to speak our language! It was fun and therapeutic...all in one! :)

1 comment:

  1. Cute idea! I love visual or representative ideas give kids a picture of what's going on inside - it can be kind of scary for children to have strong emotions when they don't know how to deal with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete