Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Can't Believe This...

My mom called me this evening, to tell me some devastating news. An LDS Bishop was shot and killed today, at his ward building. This link explains more. How I am praying for his wife and his six boys. I can only imagine how their hearts must be breaking right now. I am utterly shocked by this! I am already a paranoid mama. The way that happens, is that you start with a girl who is already a worrier, add in the experiences of having 17 children whom you love dearly taken from you (because they were foster children and didn't stay long), throw in some children who are medically fragile, impulsive, not afraid of strangers, etc....and you get a mom like me. A mom, who raised most of her children for anywhere from 6 mos. to 2 1/2 years, before she was able to finally adopt them and have them sealed to her and her family, and be one of their legally recognized parents. My family is my everything! (I guess everyone's is!) I am always worried for their safety and well-being. This devastating news today, has shaken me. It hasn't shaken my faith, but it has made me more concerned for my children and husband. I heard that not long ago, a little girl was kidnapped from a church building here in the valley, and molested and then brought back to the church building and dropped off. I don't know which, if any, parts of that story are factual, but I do know that it hurts my heart. I worry about my kids all the time. In a world this scary, how do you not? I worry about my kids every Sunday at church, too. I worried about them before these terrible things happened. Most people don't understand why I worry so much, but that's because they don't understand the unique issues some of our children face. All children have an innocence about them. I feel that our children are particularly innocent. Some of them have a small grasp on what stranger danger is. Some of them don't understand that at all. Some of my children like to run from me. Some of my children think that EVERYONE is nice and kind. Unfortunately, this is not true. It has been challenging to explain to my children, that we don't talk to strangers, while simultaneously teaching them that it's nice to be kind to people we don't know, who, for example, we see at the grocery store or something. Ultimately, I am just trying to teach them about the most important things in this earth life...The Gospel, Our Families and Our Knowledge. Those are the only things that will we can take with us. I have an even greater resolve, today, to be who I must be and do what I must do, to be with my family for eternity! May the Lord bless us all, in our desires to do His will for our families, is my prayer. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment