Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Summer Butterfly

http://butterflywebsite.com/clipart/bfly0058.gif
Yesterday the kiddo's played in our new backyard! I sat and read on the porch bench and watched them run and jump and scream (so glad we have a place for "outdoor voices, now") and swing and slide and play kickball with each other. It was wonderful! It wasn't even very hot out (I think it was around 80 degrees when we were out there) and that must be one of the reasons we were visited by a little white butterfly. At first the kids ran from it, thinking it was "a bug!" But when I told them it was just a little butterfly, they decided to follow it around the yard. It eventually flew over the wall to the neighbor's house and kept going. They were sad when it went away. It got me thinking about a story that was told to the children at church, a few years ago, called To Catch a Butterfly. LDS.org - Friend Article - To Catch a Butterfly
This story is about reverence, and it talks about how reverence is a feeling that you can't catch if you going running after it, but that comes to you when you are ready to feel it. It's amazing to me, how that little butterfly changed us all, for a few moments when it came flying into our backyard. I wish we lived in a place that wasn't quite so hot, where maybe more butterflies would want to come and visit. But for now, I will smile about the story I will read to my children today, inspired from a visit from a summer butterfly.

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    I replied to the comment you left on my blog - just thought I would let you know in case you don't go back and look at the comments :-)

    ReplyDelete