Monday, June 28, 2010

Sanctified

The other night, I had a nice talk with my Heavenly Father, and told him how inadequate I feel as a wife and a mother, sometimes. I told him that I want to be better, that I want to be able to balance life better, and that I need His help to do that. The words "D&C 88" immediately popped into my head and I quickly closed my prayer and went to my scriptures, eager to read His answer to me! In reading basically the whole section of Doctrine and Covenants 88, one word really stood out to me: Sanctified. In the book entitled Mormon Doctrine, written by Bruce R. McConkie, Sanctification is defined in this way: "To be sanctified is to become clean, pure and spotless; to be free from the blood and sins of the world. ...To become a new creature of the Holy Ghost, one whose body has been renewed by the rebirth of the spirit. It's a state of saintliness, a state attained only by conformity to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. The continual cry of the gospel is "Sanctify yourselves!" ( I just LOVE that!) Sanctification is a personal reward that follows personal righteousness. The Holy Ghost is the sanctifier and it is through His power as a Spirit Being that men may be sanctified and washed clean from all sin." In D&C 88:67-68 it says "Sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God." I love the idea of becoming "spiritually new" and of purifying ourselves and being renewed by the rebirth of the spirit. I loved this information:

"The purpose of building Zion is to sanctify the children of God through the ordinances of salvation.

We have been gathered … for the express purpose of purifying ourselves, that we may become polished stones in the temple of God. We are here for the purpose of establishing the Kingdom of God on the earth. To be prepared for this work it has been necessary to gather us out from the nations and countries of the world [to receive] the ordinances of the holy Priesthood of the Son of God, which are necessary for the perfection of the Saints preparatory to his coming (DBY, 121)."

~ From Teachings of the Presidents of the church: Brigham Young

How I long to be one of those "polished stones"! I have been reading so much about the early saints of the church and have marveled at ways that they became a pure and "saintly" people. I have a strong desire to be more righteous and pure! I am trying more diligently, to be worthy of the presence of the Holy Ghost, The Sanctifier, so that I can be more clean and holy. It is in this way, that I can more fully ask in faith for answers to my prayers! As I place scripture study and prayer in positions of priority in my life, I will be able to feel the Holy Ghost's presence in my life, more fully. It is my prayer, that I can strengthen my personal relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ, and that I can be free from the sins of this world. For, it is my strong desire to attain the blessing that my Heavenly Father has in store for me, if I am valiant and endure to the end. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You are always so inspiring Ranee! Thank you for sharing this. I, too, want to become a "polished stone" in the work.

    ReplyDelete