Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Effective and Elect

As part of my "random studies", as I am calling them, I have been reading a few things that I think will help me get out of the slump I've been in and push me onward. I started reading Stephen R. Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families. These are both wonderful books with really great information and explanation about things! I am enjoying the insights I am finding. The other book that has caught my interest as of late, is a book called Elect Ladies, written about past Relief Society presidents. I particularly loved reading about Eliza R. Snow. She was a talented poet and has written some beautiful words to some of the hymns we sing at church on Sundays. She was a wonderful example of being an instrument in the Lord's hands, and she was a stalwart leader! I also enjoyed reading about Belle Spafford, and all the wise things her mother taught her about choosing wisely, being careful with the way she spent money and about how she should speak about herself, etc. This book has so many great pieces of advice and shows us how our trials and struggles can contribute to our making a monument of our life, to the Lord. It's very good! (I will have to check on the name of the author and let you know who it is.) I am eager to be more effective in my efforts to teach my children and nurture our family and I am excited to be learning to be an elect lady, from some of the best examples who ever lived! (Side note A: Ladybug sat on the potty today, for the very first time! Yipee! Here's prayin' she gets it! Side note B: Today will be the first day that the kids get to play in the new backyard Pete put in! Another "Yipee!" for our family! :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment