Sunday, May 2, 2010

Job Training!

So it's WAY too late for me to be up right now! I am exhausted (probably still from the move), but something has been on my mind and I thought I'd blog about it, so I can keep myself accountable about it. The Chore Card system we have set up is AWESOME! There's just one teensy-weensy problem...we aren't using it. This overflows into the fact that I haven't been teaching my children how to govern themselves very well, because the chore system is an integral part of that. A broken chore system = kids who don't have any real accountability for themselves, and one exhausted mom who is doing EVERYTHING! It's not completely bad...the kids LOVE helping me do the dishes (on an inconsistent basis), and they fold the laundry (pretty well) and Gannon will make his bed (AND his brother's bed AND his sister's bed). You see part of the problem? Ugh! So...I have been pondering the root of these issues today and I have decided that my kids need some "JOB TRAINING"! Starting tomorrow, I am going to pick a room and teach the kids, step by step, how to clean it properly. It may very well take me all day to teach them how to properly care for one room! I think I will start with each of their rooms! I guess this week at our house will officially be known as a "Family Work Workshop"! I want my kids to understand each step involved in cleaning each room in the house, so that when they start using their chore cards, they should have at least a basic understanding as to what they should do. I have also decided that some pictures are in order, for the front of each card, to help with the fact that the children don't read yet. This should help them to understand a little better, about what is on each card. Wish me luck! How come every time I have one of these hair-brained ideas it exhausts me? Oh well...I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Someday I will be super glad that I took the time to do some Job Training with my family! :D)

1 comment: