Saturday, May 15, 2010

Growing Up Unto the Lord and Learning to Love Learning

I was reading in the February 2010 volume of The Ensign magazine (a church publication put out by my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). I read 2 articles that I learned a lot from. One was called Grow Up Unto The Lord by Kathleen H. Hughes. Among other great things in the article, she speaks of 3 Nephi, where the Nephites and Lamanites are becoming corrupt and are falling away from the church. In 3 Nephi 1: 29-30, it says that these people had many children who grew up and began to wax strong in years, that they became for themselves. I thought this was such an interesting thought. I asked myself "How often do I look to myself or the ways of man to solve a problem I am having? Do I look to Heavenly Father in every thought, word and deed?" It is easy these days, in a world that is becoming increasingly more corrupt, to become for ourselves, and to become concerned only, with looking out for #1. It's easy to chase the spirit from our lives and to give ourselves the glory and honor for the blessing our Heavenly Father gives us. It is becoming increasingly hard to choose what is right, in a world that is so wrong about many things. Another thing she says, that I love and that I really think applies to core phase, is "As we mature and grow physically, we need to ensure that the divine within us is being nurtured. Our actions should invite the Spirit to be the predominant force in our lives." When I have received callings at church, to teach little children, I always try to let them know when the spirit of the Holy Ghost is there and can be felt and heard. So, I try to teach my children in this same way, to understand that feeling and to seek for it in their lives, as a way to judge their actions, words and deeds.

The other wonderful article I read last Sunday, is called "Learning to Love Learning, by Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. The title of this article jumped out at me, as one of the phases of learning in the TJed model, called Love of Learning. This article was very good! The subtitle of the article sums it up perfectly: "Understanding who we are, where we come from. and why we are on the earth places upon each of us a great responsibility both to learn how to learn and to learn to love learning." In this article, Elder Bednar talks about three important aspects of our lives, in which it is important that we learn to love learning: "1. Learning to love learning is central to the gospel of Jesus Christ. 2. Learning to love learning is vital to our ongoing spiritual and personal development. 3. Learning to love learning is an absolute necessity in the world in which we do now and will yet live, serve and work." He says,
" A hierarchy of learning exists among the things you and I can learn. Indeed, all learning is not equally important. Some facts are helpful or useful to know. Some knowledge is useful to learn and apply. But gospel truths are essential for us to understand and live if we are to become what our Heavenly Father yearns for us to become. " He goes on to say "The type of learning I am attempting to describe is not merely the accumulation of data and facts and frameworks; rather, it is acquiring and applying knowledge for righteousness." I thought this last statement was particularly important. When I think about my high school education (or really, all of my education experiences), I really do feel like much of it was spent cramming information into my head, (sometimes for an assignment, sometimes for a test) most of which, I have never used again. Elder Bednar talks about intelligence. "...intelligence is the application of the knowledge we obtain for righteous purposes." This goes right along with being virtuous...doing that for which you were created. Elder Bednar quotes David O. McKay, who taught the learning, "for which the church stands-is the application of the knowledge to the development of a noble and Godlike character." Elder Bednar also speaks about President Brigham Young. He says "Perhaps President Young was such a consumate learner precisely because he was not constrained unduly by the arbitrary boundaries so often imposed through the structures and process of formal education. He clearly learned to love learning. He clearly learned how to learn. He ultimately became a powerful disciple and teacher precisely because he first was an effective learner." I was amazed to read in this article. that President Young received only 11 days of formal schooling. President Young was inspired to learn, and he valued his learning. It wasn't handed to him and it wasn't something he was forced to do. He was inspired to learn, because he wanted to know. It is amazing to me. what can be accomplished, when we don't take things for granted. I have a little quote in my seminary set of scriptures from high school. I think it was one of my seminary teachers who said it..."When you want wisdom and learning like you want air, you won't have to ask anyone to give it to you." I think President Young is a perfect example of this.

How grateful I am, for a loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ, and His life and His example. I am grateful for inspiration and personal revelation. I am excited to be teaching my children a love for learning, which I hope, will extend throughout their lives. I am excited at all the awesome things I am learning, as I try to be an example for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment