Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can there be too much of a good thing?

Have you ever just needed to give yourself a break? Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time trying to make our home school experience like everyone else's. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think there is value in checking out what other's are doing, but at some point it becomes a futile distraction. (Can ya' tell what I've been up to lately???) I have been really interested in some blogs about getting organized (www.lazyorganizer.com, and also www.thetaleofourquest.blogspot.com), and putting a schedule together, and all that jazz! I have also been listening relentlessly, to Core and Love of Learning: A Recipe For Success (absolutely invaluable information). The part I need a break from, is the "relentless" part. :D) I have been learning some AWESOME things...okay, I have been a little obsessed about this learning! So NOW...I am going to quit reading about it for a while, put my Zune down and put some cool ideas into practice, tweak them as needed, and see what happens! I feel like we have some good habits in practice now, and we are ready to kick it up a notch! So here is what we have in the works:

A system for chores, using "Chore Cards"! (I've got some major work ahead with this!)
Purging (specifically the purging of the endless amount of toys that the kids have! And may I say, that after purging the kids' outfits to about eight each, our laundry is getting easier to keep in check!)
Teaching Self-Government (specifically getting our FEC, mentor mtng.'s and family mtng.'s consistently happening)
Inspirational Place Mats for the table! (see www.thetaleofourquest.blogspot.com)

So, there ya' go! My goal is to actually stick with the plan and get these things all implemented! That would be a big accomplishment for me, since I seem to have a problem following through with things, lately! I will return and report and let you all know how it goes! :D)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! You are such an amazing mother that so delights in creating for your family! I appreciate your example to stop researching and begin implementing, a necessary process in order to have the results we desire. I look forward to your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN, Nanette!

    So powerful: "at some point it becomes a futile distraction" and "The part I need a break from, is the "relentless" part."

    I HEAR YOU!!!

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete